“Excellence is achieved by mastery of the fundamentals.” -Vince Lombardi
Super Bowl 50 is over. Whether you were rooting for the Panthers or the Broncos, chances are you tuned in for more than just the game. It’s no secret the Super Bowl is the pinnacle event in advertising and entertainment. (What did you think of Beyoncé at halftime?)
There’s more to the big game than amazing sports prowess, pizza, beer, and car commercials. At the heart and history of football, there are lessons and amazing examples of follow-through, leadership and personal dedication.
Football is a game of inspirational stories and triumphs, from Rudy and Friday Night Lights “underdog wins” fiction to real-life examples of excellence, like Peyton Manning, Michael Oher, and of course Lombardi. Coach Vince Lombardi is well known for his famous words of wisdom he bestowed on the Green Bay Packers during his tenure, building on their strengths and honing their skills, leading them to victories in Super Bowls I & II.
As Lombardi taught his players, you must first master fundamentals to achieve excellence. This lesson can be applied to marketing, business, and even Beyoncé. (Hey, how much time do you think she spent first mastering those fundamental dance moves before she could achieve the level of excellence required to perform at Super Bowl halftime?) Achieve excellence in your own right by practicing, tackling and mastering the basics of your business communication.
- First, learn the basics of your SEO game before you try to tackle the opposing team’s quarterback. Try these 5 Actions to Improve Your Search Engine Visibility in 2016.
- Don’t miss your chance to connect with customers and engage in after-the-game commentary on social media today. Here are 4 Steps to Get Noticed on Social Media NOW.
- Maybe you didn’t have the budget for a Super Bowl ad, but you should budget for extraordinary content marketing AND social media promotion.
- Another solution for a too-small-for-TV-budget? Drive your competitors crazy by hijacking their Super Bowl commercials. Click here to learn how Volvo hijacked their competitors last year!
- We all love a good underdog story in sports, as well as in business. Check out these underdog brands that differentiated themselves from the competition.
- An interesting bit of trivia about the Super Bowl: it predicts market direction for the upcoming year. Sounds crazy, but it’s been true for the last 40 years!
- How about that “other” football game? (Hint: It’s known in the U.S. as soccer.) Here’s 5 Incredible Content Marketing Lessons from Footballer Lionel Messi.
So, what did you think of the game? Are you inspired to start working on your marketing, SEO, and content marketing basics so you can enjoy a championship year?
Get Motivated Every Monday!
Marketing creativity is the ability to tap into our mental pool of resources — knowledge, information, insight, stats, examples — and combine them in unique ways. The larger the library of creative building blocks, the more visionary your ideas will grow to be.
Motivate your mind. Subscribe now to get full Motivational Mondays posts in your inbox every Monday morning: