Happy Social Media Day! The website Mashable launched Social Media Day in 2010 as a way to recognize and celebrate social media's impact on global communication. It's an annual global event on June 30 that recognizes the digital revolution happening right before our eyes.
In honor of this special day, we've pulled together some of our favorite social media quotes to inspire you to dive in and stay creative.
1. It’s kind of the oldest form of marketing — word of mouth — with the newest form of technology.
Marc S. Pritchard
2. Conversations among the members of your marketplace happen whether you like it or not. Good marketing encourages the right sort of conversations.
3. You can buy attention (advertising). You can beg for attention from the media (PR). You can bug people one at a time to get attention (sales). Or you can earn attention by creating something interesting and valuable and then publishing it online for free.
David Meerman Scott
4. Social Media puts the “public” into PR and the “market” into marketing.
5. By not tweeting you’re tweeting. You’re sending a message.
6. Content sharing is a privilege, not a chore.
7. Your writing doesn’t have to be boring just because it’s for other businesses. Businesses have people who read stuff.
8. Social Media is about the people, not about your business. Provide for the people and the people will provide for you.
9. Engage rather than sell … Work as a co-creator, not a marketer.
Tom H. C. Anderson
10. Life doesn’t always allow for scheduled posts; there’s simply no way to foresee everything and anything…and frankly, life just gets weird sometimes.
Cultivate Communications, via 5 Epic Social Media Automation Fails: Bots Just Aren’t People
11. A brand is no longer what we tell the consumer it is – it is what consumers tell each other it is.
12. In the digital space, attention is a currency. We earn it. We spend it.
13. In the world of B2B, your professional network is everything. Because your business is about business, the potential of who you know and who they know is where powerful connections happen.
14. Content is fire, social media is gasoline.
15. Be helpful — be remembered.
16. If you’re in business and want to keep it running smoothly, you need to start thinking about your LinkedIn profile (and company profile) like your “dream vehicle”: If you put in the right gas (the right connections), take care of it, and keep up with slight “maintenance” improvements — you’ll be able to go AMAZING places.
Wayne Breitbarth Analogy, via No Leads. No Sales. No Growth: Your LinkedIn Profile Might Be to Blame
17. Sharing compelling content via your blog and social not only establishes you as a teacher in your industry, but it’s also enormously beneficial to your page rank in search results.
18. The next evolution of content marketing is not more content; it’s better distribution.
19. Why are we trying to measure social media like a traditional channel anyway? Social media touches every facet of business and is more an extension of good business ethics.
20. The secret to marketing — especially social marketing — is to treat it like a cocktail party. If all you do is talk about yourself, people will soon lose interest, go mingle with someone else, and be GONE. Keep your message focused on the people around you and what THEY want to know, and at the end of the party, everyone will remember you and just how knowledgeable and intriguing you really are. They may even talk about you to other people. (What a gift for you and your “brand.”)
21. You are competing with every piece of content ever made for every person’s attention. You need to be entertaining. Don’t outsmart. Out entertain.
Dolf van den Brink
22. To tweet, or not to tweet, that is the question. My answer, “I always thinketh thou shouldst Tweet!”
23. New marketing is about the relationships, not the medium.
24. Never forget that social media is social…the whole point is to build relationships and keep your customers interested and in the loop. When you build audience, you keep your sales pipeline full.
Cultivate Communications, via 4 Specific Steps to Get Noticed on Social Media NOW
25. Social media isn’t cheap. It’s just a different kind of expensive.
26. The beauty of social media is that it will point out your company’s flaws; the key questions is how quickly you address these flaws.
27. You are what you tweet.
28. Innovation needs to be part of your culture. Consumers are transforming faster than we are, and if we don’t catch up, we’re in trouble.
29. Social media allows big companies to act small again.
How can you not take advantage of the greatest marketing shift of our generation?
Social media is a revolution that your business must be part of...
79% of B2B Marketers believe social media is an effective marketing channel. (Source)
We end our collection of social media quotes with a bit of a kick in the pants from Seth Godin:
30. How can you squander even one more day not taking advantage of the greatest shift of our generation? How dare you settle for less when the world has made it so easy for you to be remarkable?
Want to kick-start your businesses' content and social marketing? We're here to help.