Boost Business – Create the Perfect Mix of Copywriting and Content Marketing
Copywriting and content marketing are the same thing right? Potato, potahto?
You’ll hear the terms used interchangeably, but they're actually quite different:
Content Marketing – Creating valuable content with a marketing intent. This can be anything from blog posts and infographics, to eBooks and online videos.
Copywriting – Think of this more as a sales type of writing; it’s designed to make readers take a specific action. That might mean buying a product, signing up for a newsletter list, or calling a phone number for more information.
In the past these two terms were kept in separate corners, but online marketers found if you combine these forces, they're much more effective.
Get in on the action. Check out these 6 tips and learn to play with a mix of content marketing and copywriting:
1. When someone says “content marketing” you may say “blog post.” While it’s true that is one vehicle, there are many other options. Consider infographics, online videos, podcasts, eBooks, webinars, and more. Take a tip from your high school public speaking class: know your audience. In your industry, how do you reach your readers? If they aren’t the blog-reading crowd, a blog post won't be the most effective way to reach them.
2. The old advice “less is more” definitely applies here. Don’t write extra content just to fill up a page, it’s not going to score you any extra points. Readers appreciate short, sweet, and focused. Work smarter, not harder when it comes to content marketing – as in, write clearer, not more.
3. Use content marketing to educate your customers on what you offer, to create brand awareness and loyalty, and to engage your customers. You may even find new employees who want to come work for you.
4. As a business, you’ll still need copywriting and a marketing strategy to get your customers to interact with the content you’ve published. Combining copywriting techniques with content marketing gets readers to take actions, opt-in, and share your website with other people.
5. Think about the content that stirs up ideas for you – what is it about that infographic or blog post that you read that made you feel motivated? Tap into that feeling when you’re creating your content so you don’t get lost in the shuffle.
6. Make your call-to-action FIT. Here’s where content marketing comes full circle: you need a call-to-action but only when it feels appropriate. Don’t come out of left field and say, “Hey, buy my service!” Basically, cut the in-your-face sales tactics and be more about helping out. For example, if you’re producing an infographic about your new book, it only makes sense to include a way to buy that new book. Make sense? Click here for additional tips on crafting a compelling call-to-action (CTA).
Need help getting started?
Content is the beating heart of communication with your customers and prospects—but sometimes the process can feel like a maze to navigate. If you're not comfortable handling content marketing and copywriting in-house, consider hiring a team of professionals to handle your marketing strategy and/or content creation.
Here's what to look for, at minimum: A copywriter who understands both SEO and marketing techniques. It’s their job to dive into your industry, get to know your audience, and learn how to use online tools to attract them. Your new copywriter should also have a strong understanding of content marketing – that way you'll get the perfect mix of copywriting and content marketing. You'll boost your marketing strategy and boost your business, too.
Stop banging on the front door of your customer’s mind …when the side door is wide open! Want to learn more about effective content marketing? Whether you decide to outsource content marketing or not, this eBook is chock-full of great information on content marketing. Download this FREE guide, Side Door Thinking, to discover how content marketing can help you ramp up your website and complete your marketing strategy.
You’ll learn how to:
- Increase Your Referral Rate
- Increase Your Social Media Reach
- Leverage New Product Lines & Revenue Streams
- Earn Your Customer’s Loyalty & Business
- Position Yourself As An Industry Leader & Trusted Resource
Download our FREE content marketing eBook Side Door Thinking.