Seek respect, not attention. It lasts longer.
Anyone can get attention. Nowadays, anything extreme, shocking or trendy can bring short-lived fame. So often, companies seek to be the next big thing. We hear a lot of talk about the concept of creating “viral content.”
The thing about viral content? It spreads fast and hot, and then it dissipates and goes away. It doesn’t really tell people what you’re about; it simply gets your name out there for a brief period of time…which is fine once and awhile, but it’s not a reliable tactic for creating lasting customer loyalty.
Be more than just a flash in the pan or the flavor of the day. Building your brand’s reputation and using consistency to garner customer respect will take you further than simple attention.
Attention doesn’t mean respect. It’s a lesson we learn in elementary school: the class clown can get plenty of attention (negative, positive or otherwise), but that doesn’t mean they’re earning their peers’ respect. Respect is hard won. It is earned. Building on a solid reputation and giving people what they want and need consistently will earn the respect of your customers, employees, and ultimately your industry. Always aim for respect over notoriety.
- Have a look at this list of the most respected brands in the world. How did they get there? As it turns out, it’s not a simple numbers game. Investors look at corporate ethics even more than earnings. Integrity is a consistent theme among leaders.
- How about these least respected brands? Inconsistency over time was one of the biggest problems shared by the companies on the list.
- Your long-term customers are often your most loyal and they’re the founders of your reputation. Take care of them and you’ll earn their respect.
- It takes months to find a customer—and just SECONDS to lose one. One great way to build a solid, reliable reputation? Through exemplary customer service.
- Earning a customer’s trust and respect can be tricky. One of the simplest routes is through honesty and relationship building. Deliver on your promises.
- To get respect, you must also give it. Develop your customer relationships to show each customer their value. After all, your reputation relies on their satisfaction.
Fertilize Your Mind — Weekly Marketing Updates
Marketing creativity is the ability to tap into our mental pool of resources — knowledge, information, insight, stats, examples — and combine them in unique ways. The larger the library of creative building blocks, the more visionary your ideas will grow to be.
Fertilize your mind. Subscribe now to get a weekly digest of our latest blog posts delivered directly to your inbox: